November 8th at 5:30am CST - November 8th at 6:45am CST
Net Zero smoke and mirrors, a story of betrayal: making the case against carbon market offsetting
COP 26 Side Event
On November 8 at 11:30 a.m. GMT / 5:30 a.m. CT, join IATP, Greenpeace International, Global Witness, Amnesty International and ActionAid International for a COP 26 side event at Strangford Lough. Livestream the event here.
Net Zero climate targets and plans to expand carbon markets under Article 6 of the Paris Climate Agreement present dangerous loopholes for fossil fuel actors to delay climate action, threatening land, ecosystems and human rights including of environmental defenders. Instead, action is urgently needed to bring greenhouse gasses down to Real Zero.
- Teresa Anderson — Climate Policy Coordinator, ActionAid International
- Seema Joshi — Director of Campaigns, Global Witness
- Shefali Sharma — Director, Institute for Agriculture and Trade Policy (IATP) Europe
- Agnès Callamard — Secretary General, Amnesty International
- Sônia Guajajara — Lead, Articulação dos Povos, Indígenas do Brasil (APIB)
- Jennifer Morgan — Executive Director, Greenpeace International
- Moderated by Juan Pablo Osornio, Senior Portfolio Manager, Global Climate Politics, Greenpeace International
The event will comprise a moderated Q&A with the panel speakers, followed by interventions and open Q&A from the floor.
Watch the event